Roman Reigns is the new Paul Heyman Guy and this was the biggest highlight of todays SmackDown episode. Also we get to see Jeff Hardy issuing an open challenge for his Intercontinental Title. Shorty G had a singles match with Matt Riddle. Bayley disrespects Sasha Banks again showing signs of a near future split between the duo. Contract signing by Reigns, Strowman and Wyatt. In the main event a 6 man tag team match took place between Otis, Tucker and Big E vs. John Morrison, Miz and Sheamus.
WWE SmackDown 29 August 2020 Winners and Losers
1. Jeff Hardy (c) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura Singles Match for Intercontinental Championship
Winner– Jeff Hardy
Loser– Shinsuke Nakamura
Shinsuke Nakamura kicks Jeff Hardy on his injured knee at the beginning of this match. Nakamura focuses his assault on Hardy’s knee. Nakamura misses a running knee in the corner. Hardy tries to suplex Nakamura out of the ring but Nakamura avoids it.
In the final moments of this match Shinsuke Nakamura calls for the Kinshasa but Jeff Hardy avoids it. Hardy knees Nakamura in the gut using the knee that has the knee brace on it. Hardy hits the Twist of Fate followed by the Swanton picking up the win and retaining his IC Title.
After the end of the match Jeff Hardy was walking up the ramp, Sami Zayn’s music hits. Zayn makes a return on the blue brand as he saunters his way onto the stage carrying his Intercontinental Championship. Zayn calls Hardy a fraud. Zayn boots Hardy in the face.
2. Matt Riddle vs Shorty G Singles Match
Winners – Matt Riddle
Loser – Shorty G
Shorty G hits an under hook German after which he went for the pin but Matt Riddle kicks out. Shorty G tries the Chaos Theory but Riddle lands on his feet and hits BroDerck picking up the win.
After the match King Corbin tries to attack Matt Riddle but Riddle fights back and Corbin retreats.
3. Braun Strowman vs Drew Gulak Singles Match
Winner – Braun Strowman
Loser – Drew Gulak
It was basically a squash match. Braun Strowman tosses Drew Gulak all over the ring after which he hits a running power slam picking up the win.
After the match, Braun Strowman signs the contract
4. Cesaro with Shinsuke Nakamura vs Kalisto Singles Match
Winner – Cesaro
Loser – Kalisto
After a bit of back and forth at the start of this match, Shinsuke Nakamura gets on the apron. Lince Dorado and Gran Metalik ran down to ringside to take out Nakamura. Kalisto gets distracted which allows Cesaro to roll up Kalisto for the win.
After the end of this match, Lucha House Party argues after which Kalisto eventually hugs Gran Metalik and sorta hugs Lince Dorado and leaves the ring.
5. Heavy Machinery (Otis and Tucker) and Big E vs. Sheamus, Miz, and Morrison 6 Man Tag Team Match
Winners – Heavy Machinery (Otis and Tucker) and Big E
Losers – Sheamus, Miz, and Morrison
At the end of this match, Big E got tagged in and he crushes Miz with a splash. Uranage by Big E. Otis tags in and hits the Catapillar on Morrison. Miz drops Otis with the Skull Crushing Finale. Big E surprises Miz with the Big Ending for the win.
WWE SmackDown 29 August 2020 All Segments Updates
1. At the start of the show backstage, Vince McMahon gives Adam Pierce the responsibily to take the signatures of Roman Reigns, Bray Wyatt and Braun Strowman tonight for their match at Payback. Mr McMahon also gave Pierce a special outfit to wear as he was going to visit Firefly Funhouse and he tells Pierce to say hi to Huskus as Vince loves Huskus.
2. New Intercontinental Champion Jeff comes to the ring and he says that he is all set to defend the Intercontinental title tonight. AJ Styles walks out on the stage and he starts complaining about Hardy using his knee brace last week. Styles says he isn’t medically cleared to compete tonight and it’s Hardy’s fault. Hardy says he was going to issue an open challenge to anyone but Styles. Styles goes into a Karen-esq rant about how Hardy is working the system. The referee tells Styles to leave. Styles pushes Hardy. Hardy decks Styles.
3. Backstage, Sami Zayn whines about that he is the real Intercontinental Champion
4. Adam Piernce came to Firefly Funhouse as the postman Pierce. Bray Wyatt signs the contract on Fiend’s behalf. Wyatt tells Pierce that if he knows him that he should be aware of the fact that Wyatt has just signed Reigns and Strowman’s death warrent.
5. Matt Riddle came to the ring and challenges King Corbin to a signles match. Corbin accepts the challenge for Shorty G. Shorty G attacks Riddle from behind.
6. Backstage, Big E, Otis, and Tucker were joking about their meat. Sasha Banks and Bayley walk in and call them all losers. Bayley says she heard what Miz said to Big E on Talking Smack. Sometimes people can only handle being a tag team champion. Bayley gets a good laugh while Banks looks offended. Big E points out that she is talking about Banks. Bayley ignores Big E and tells Banks to come out as she laughs and honks Banks nose for some reason.
7. Backstage Adam Pierce knocks on Roman Reigns locker room door.
8. Sasha Banks and Bayley came to the ring and Bayley says that they are the rgreatest tag team ever. Bayley then started disrespecting Banks saying it was all Bayley’s fault as she should’nt have enourage Banks to challenge Asuka knowing the fact that Banks can’t defend her title for more then a month looking at her past track record. Banks looked a bit angry at Bayley.
9. Nia Jax and Shayna Baszler appeared on the tron. Jax says she hates Baszler but if teaming up with her means that she can get her hands on Sasha Banks and Bayley she’ll do what she has to do. Baszler says Jax actually sucks, but if teaming up with her will get Baszler those tag titles, screw it. Banks says she knows who she is and it doesn’t matter what Baszler and Jax say, they will walk out of Payback as champions.
10. Backstage, Adam Pierce asks Drew Gulak if he had seen Braun. Drew picked a chair and hits Braun from behind with it but it didn’t effected Braun. Drew ran away throwing the chair at Pierce hands. Pierce tells Braun that it was Gulak who hit him. Strowman says he will sign the contract but firstly get Gulak in the ring with him.
11. Backstage, Sami Zayn walks in on Cesaro and Shinsuke Nakamura. Zayn sings “Reunited”. Nakamura gives Zayn his ass to kiss and ask why Zayn didn’t bother to call them for the five months he’s been gone. Cesaro asks Nakamura to leave. Nakamura says please. Zayn says he actually had to go because he has so much stuff to do. Zayn slinks away.
12. Backstage, Kalisto tells Lince Dorado and Gran Metalik that he learns from their mistakes last week. Kalisto wants Dorado and Metalik to stay backstage so he can show them how it’s done. Kalisto leaves. Cesaro and Nakamura attacked Dorado and Metalik from behind.
13. Backstage, Adam Pearce tells Vince McMahon he hasn’t been able to get Roman Reigns to answer his locker room door. McMahon suggests Pearce throw himself through the door to get him what he asked for.
14. Backstage, Tamina asks Nikki Cross how Alexa Biss is doing. Cross was holding the first mug Bliss ever got her. Bliss walks in and she has her hair in pigtails. Cross notices that a bit of Bliss’ hair has been knotted. Cross suggests Bliss not do that to her hair. Bliss goes off and says Cross isn’t really her friend and smashes the mug. Bliss storms off.
15. Backstage, John Morrison tells Miz and Sheamus the key to winning their match tonight is to keep Otis, Tucker, AND Big E on the apron and outside the ring. Sheamus looks at Morrison and says you just follow my lead and then Sheamus walks away.
16. Adam Pearce enters into Roman Reigns locker room and asks him to sign the contract. Reigns says he has to read it first.
17. Backstage, in the Reigns locker room, Roman Reigns signs the contract and tells Adam Pierce that he is going Wreck everyone and leave at Payback. Reigns further says that he is going to win the Universal title and thats not a prediction thats a spoiler. Camera moves towards Paul Heyman as he was sitting with Reigns on couch. Heyman says believe that.